|UK airport security: A shoot-first-ask-questions-later mission|
The facts are still not entirely clear. But the main elements of what happened in the dark of early Tuesday morning are more or less evident. The account reported by Times of Israel is a good place to start: "Palestinians in speeding truck penetrate airport security | Vehicle stopped, two men arrested; perpetrators claim they are car thieves; airport resumes normal functioning".
In thinking about how much more bloodily this night have ended, there are some aspects of this we might ponder:
- Israel attracts terrorists on a world-class scale. Elaboration unnecessary.
- Those acts of terror continue right up until this week. For instance, this.
- Ben Gurion Airport knows what it means to experience terrorism on a horrifying scale
- Airports in general are prime targets for the terrorism-minded. Securing airports is a huge industry.
- The security personnel who guard the entrances to Ben Gurion are very well-armed, and come with years of training in how to protect and, if necessary, how to permanently stop attackers.
- Notwithstanding, there is endless criticism of how 'heavy-handed' and 'intrusive' the security at Israel's major airport can be.