|Indiscriminate daily fire by the thugs of Gaza sometimes produces|
the results of which they dream: An Israeli home in Eshkol
region after taking a direct hit this morning [Image Source]
- Hamas' military wing and the Popular Resistance Committee have both claimed responsibility for the ongoing rocket attack on southern Israel.
- Over 50 rockets have been fired from the Gaza Strip toward Israel on Wednesday. Two foreign workers were seriously injured in the attack.
- The arrival of Sheik Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani [on Tuesday] gave Hamas its biggest diplomatic victory yet since violently taking control of Gaza in June 2007 from forces loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Repeated attempts to reconcile, including a Qatari-brokered deal early this year, have failed...
- The emir received a hero's welcome as he crossed through Gaza's southern border with Egypt...
- In a speech at Gaza's Islamic University, a Hamas stronghold, the emir called on the Palestinians to heal their bitter rift, saying a unified front is the only way to achieve statehood. "Why are you staying divided? There are no peace negotiations (between Palestinian factions), and there is no clear strategy of resistance and liberation. Why shouldn't brothers sit together and reconcile?"
Not so surprisingly, the Aljazeera news network which the self-same Emir of Qatar funded and directs (it purports to be independent but in fact is owned today by the Sheik's Qatar Media Corporation) carries not a word of this morning's ongoing rocket attacks on Israel in its news coverage at this hour (09:00, Wednesday morning).
But it does carry some glowing eye-witness reportage this morning from its correspondent, Nicole Johnston, reporting from Gaza:
"I haven't seen Hamas officials looking quite so pleased with themselves since they managed to free more than 1,000 Palestinian political prisoners last year," she said.Rocket attacks, smiley faces, a feeling of well-being, plus three wives and twenty-four children: so much good that can come from one modest man's efforts - a man whose wealth is estimated at $2,400 million [source]. Truly heart-warming.