|Rezwan Ferdaus, alias Dave Winfield, alias Jon Ramos|
A man accused of plotting to fly explosives-packed remote-controlled model planes into the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol pleaded not guilty Monday. The bail hearing that had been scheduled for Rezwan Ferdaus, of Ashland, was delayed for several weeks because his lawyer, Catherine Byrne, asked for more time to prepare.From a Boston-area news channel, some background about the accused and the charges.
Authorities said Ferdaus, a 26-year-old Muslim American with a physics degree from Northeastern University, was arrested in Framingham last week after federal agents posing as al-Qaida members delivered what he believed was 24 pounds of C-4 explosive. They said the public was never in danger from the plot... Also in attendance were the parents of Tarek Mehanna, another Massachusetts man arrested in a different terror plot. They said they did not know Ferdaus' family but went to show their support. Mehanna is scheduled for trial later this month; authorities say he conspired to provide material support to al-Qaida and kill U.S. troops in Iraq. [More]
- Aged 26, with a Bangladeshi background, he is a 2008 graduate of Northeastern University in Boston, where he earned a degree in physics. Graduated from Ashland High School in 2003.
- Ferdaus used the aliases "Dave Winfield" and "Jon Ramos"
- Mother is a health coordinator; father is an engineer.
- "Despite living in the neighborhood for 14 years, none of their neighbors seemed to know much about them."
- Charged with a plot to damage or destroy the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol as well as attempting to provide support and resources to foreign terrorist organization al Qaeda
- Arrested by undercover agents posing as terrorists. He thought he was going to receive 25 pounds of C-4 explosives. 3 hand grenades. 6 fully automatic AK-47 rifles. He wanted to have remote control drone airplanes, packed them with explosives, crash them into the targets. The planes are about 5 feet long with a 4 foot wingspan.
- Instead, he was busted.
- He traveled to DC in May 2011 and chose sites where he would launch these drone planes filled with explosives. Was planning to attack DC for 2 years. He wanted to kill women and children and as many Americans as possible.
- "Ferdaus was also the drummer for the band Goospimp Orchestra."