- In 2009, over 60% of Palestine's gross national income, and almost 100% of government expenditure, came from aid.
- PA budgets allocate ten times more money to security than to agriculture.
- The Palestinians' NGO sector has become a byword for corruption, incompetence and meaningless job creation.
- Thousands of NGOs have sprung up, bloating the aid industry without delivering long-term benefits.
- Naseef Mu'allem, director-general of the Palestinian Center for Peace and Democracy, revealed that "JICA - the Japanese government aid mission - invested $5 million last year, but practically what they spent is $600,000. The rest is given as salaries, accommodation, hotels...and transportation for the foreign employees here but not for the Palestinians.
- Without donors thoroughly checking on their investments, this kind of private profiteering has become normal."
sustainable development, the UNRWA's Peace Starts Here aid campaign
is simply life-support for Palestine
Friday 19 November 2010