October 2016: Jibril Rajoub is hosted by the chief of the
Palestinian police [Image Source]
This raises some pretty deep concerns here in Israel where the assumedly-secure sharing of intelligence on terrorism is viewed as a life-and-death matter by ordinary folk.
The current head of the PA police is modestly referred to in formal documents and press releases as "His Excellency Major General Hazim Attallah". He was appointed to the role in March 2008, promoting a US official to submit this brief backgrounder up the reporting chain from where it eventually found its way into Wikileaks.
Some highlights [italics mean direct quotes]:
- Attallah previously served as "the military secretary and a security advisor in the Office of the President" of the PA.
- He became "a security advisor to President Abbas in 2005 and military secretary to PM Salam Fayyad in September 2007."
- A "savvy internal operator who has managed to effectively navigate between PM Salam Fayyad and President Abbas and make himself necessary to both... [An] unusual choice for police chief--he spent most of his security time in the Preventive Security Organization (PSO) and his recent assignments have been advisory/political, not management."
- "The PA police headquarters is full of senior figures who will, at least initially, view Attallah as a political interloper."
- "Born in 1959 in Bayt Surik (near Jerusalem)..." That's an interesting note: it's the small village from where the Palestinian Arab shooter who murdered three Israelis at Har Adar two days ago ["26-Sep-17: At Har Adar's entrance, an Arab-on-Israeli shooter with problems and a solution"] came.
- "Attended Bulgaria's military academy from 1980 to 1984... the son of Husni Muhammad Attallah ("Abu Za'im"), a former head of Fatah military intelligence and senior PLO official until a high-profile break with Arafat in 1986..."
|August 2017: His Excellency visits Interpol [Image Source]|
From other sources:
- A profile article last year surveying the PA's multiple and overlapping security arms ["The many layers of the Palestinian Security Forces", Ynet, April 26, 2016] calls him "intelligent, albeit arrogant, and as someone who views himself as superior to others".
- Human Rights Watch, offering faint praise when Attallah was appointed to the Excellency position, wrote that the PA police organization "appears to be the least abusive force in the West Bank". In the circumstances, actually quite a compliment.
- The Facebook page of the loathsome and violent Jibril Rajoub displayed a photo (at the top of this post) on October 19, 2016 of him standing with Major General Attallah in the latter's Ramallah official office. Both senior officials are clutching holding a plaque featuring a PA map of Palestine. Palestinian Media Watch points out repeatedly that the PA's version "completely erases Israel from the map". This is clearly true - you only have to look at it. Rajoub's hideous public views on terror are well-documented. This for instance: "I say that whoever carried out individual acts of heroism, we in the Fatah movement bless and encourage them. We consider them heroes and a crown on the head of every Palestinian..." [Official PA TV, January 2, 2016 via PMW]. This is the honored guest of the head of the PA's police?