|Abbas and the inner circle of PA insiders [Image Source]|
- Voices within the leadership of Fatah are currently calling for the resumption of 'suicide bombing' attacks. For the moment, Fatah's view is to wait before acting - in the words of the JPost report, to "see which way the wind is blowing". Fatah, in case it's forgotten, is headed by the president of the Palestinian Authority, Mahmoud Abbas.
- The current street violence, the Arab-on-Israeli attacks carried out daily for the past three months, is "sooner or later" going to be escalated . Fatah sees itself as being "forced" to "join the current uprising".
- Those same insiders, realizing that the young people who are at the bleeding edge of the current violence directed at Israelis, see an impending collapse of the PA establishment and its power. This is, naturally, Israel's fault.
- What's likely to happen next is a rechanneling of the Arab-on-Israeli street violence into physical attacks against the Palestinian Authority regime. When that happens, the Palestinian Arab political leadership - again, out of having "no choice" in the matter - will redefine how it relates to Israel. (He gave no indication of what the Palestinian Arabs would do for water, electricity, medical care and a long list of other civil services in the wake of such a redefinition.)
- "Lone wolf attacks" will proliferate and this will be "very difficult" to control.
- It's foreseeable that internal rivalries among the numerous Palestinian Arab factions and their competing with one other for popular support will produce bad outcomes. Israel's fault, again.
We bless every drop of blood that has been spilled for Jerusalem, which is clean and pure blood, blood spilled for Allah, Allah willing. Every martyr (shahid) will reach paradise, and everyone wounded will be rewarded by Allah... The Al-Aqsa [Mosque] is ours and they [the Jews, naturally] have no right to defile it with their filthy feet. We will not allow them to, and we will do everything in our power to protect Jerusalem." "01-Dec-15: PA president: When the subject is terror, double-talk and blatant hypocrisy work"
- They unambiguously support violent, armed violence against the Israelis: 60% support it today, up from 57% in the PSR September 2015 poll.
- The cohort most supportive of "an armed intifada and stabbings" is the one aged between 18 and 22. That's also the cohort most opposed to a two-state solution. In fact, the notion of a two-state solution, so admired by peace-oriented outsiders (like the Obama administration and the EU) and by 63% of Israelis in a 2013 poll, is rejected by a growing majority of Palestinian Arabs (54% today; 51% in the September 2015 poll.)
- Fully two-thirds of all Palestinian Arabs say they are in favour of stabbing attacks on Israelis.
- About the same proportion are of the view that Abbas, elected in January 2005 to a four-year term as PA president, holding on tenaciously to his power for the past eleven years and with no election on the horizon, must resign. This doesn't happen because, as the poll shows, if presidential elections were held today, the Hamas candidate would defeat Abbas comprehensively.
the only reason the members of the cell were caught was that one of its members told a member of the Palestinian security forces of the cell's existence, asking him to obtain fake permits for him and the other cell members... [T]he other terror cells would not be exposed because their members have no record of security-related offenses that would make them suspects... ["Hamas planning suicide bombings, targeting Israeli officials", Ynet, December 31, 2015]
claimed that it was maintaining ties with members of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’s Fatah movement... ["Hamas says it plans to resume suicide attacks in Israel"]
managed to lay his hands on actual Palestinian Authority spreadsheets that show precisely which convicted terrorists behind Israeli bars the PA subsidizes and at what level... Here are comprehensive statistics that illustrate exactly how the PA uses its resources – including moneys handed over monthly by Israel as well as contributions the PA solicits from international donors... Apprehended, convicted and incarcerated terrorists – including the linchpins of the ghastliest of mass murders – are paid substantial monthly stipends while they do time... The newly uncovered evidence, moreover, shows that the PA’s largesse isn’t limited to Fatah terrorists but that most of its outlays are earmarked for Hamas members... Organizational rivalries and political affiliations are no bar for PA generosity toward terrorists. This encourages bloodletting, and is part and parcel of the glorification of terrorism in the purportedly moderate Mahmoud Abbas’s Ramallah-ruled jurisdiction. The glorification – indeed near-deification – of mass murder is an integral component of incitement to terrorism by Abbas’s top hierarchy... It was never a secret that the PA financially underpinned the prisoners’ relatives, a fact that helped boost their heroic status. Now, however, we know exactly who gets what, down to such details as how much is deposited when into which particular account in which particular bank... The PA ’s own paperwork shows unambiguously that tens of millions of dollars are shelled out every month to imprisoned terrorists and their relations – at a time in which Abbas moans that Ramallah can’t make ends meet. ["PA Spreadsheets", Jerusalem Post, October 10, 2015]