|From a jihadist video put out on behalf|
of Ansar Beit al-Maqdas [Image Source]
From Ynet today:
- An Egyptian army source said 11 armed men were killed in clashes with army forces over the weekend in northern Sinai.
- Egypt's military "exposed one of the most dangerous terror centers in northern Sinai", including the uncovering of an explosives lab.
- Eight people, six of them Palestinian Arabs, were arrested in the past day, having breached the Egypt/Gaza border via underground tunnels.
- The Egyptians say they destroyed 18 tunnels in Rafah.
- In al-Arish, four senior members of the Salafist jihadist/terrorist group Ansar Beit al-Maqdas were arrested.
From the Egypt Independent
- Gunmen attacked a security checkpoint in Masaeed, Arish, North Sinai early Saturday. The assailants escaped. Heavy fire was heard after the attack.
- A sniper shot dead an Egyptian soldier Wednesday in the lawless Sinai Peninsula where the army has been waging a relentless campaign to root out militants, a security official said. The 20-year-old conscript was killed while training at a military camp.
- Egypt's army has poured troops and armour into the Sinai to crush militant activity which has surged since the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on July 3 amid mass protests against him. A subsequent crackdown on Islamists has resulted in more than 1,000 people being killed and more than 2,000 arrested nationwide.
- Dozens of soldiers and policemen have also been killed in near daily attacks in the Sinai as well as other parts of Egypt.