|Most Western decision makers will never|
read publications like Al-Hayat Al-Jadid (above).
But millions of Palestinian Arabs do.
Here's a relatively small but disturbing current example of how it works.
The PA controls its own government-funded media channels, ensuring a consistent message reaches the people living under its jurisdiction. Palestinian Media Watch, and almost no one else, does consistent and professional work in tracking those messages. It puts out warnings - to which almost no other media channel reacts - when especially odious and/or dangerous content is identified.
Yesterday PMW issued an alert. It reproduces several quotations (in their context) carried in a publication called Al Hayat Al Jadida (Arabic for "New Life"). Wikipedia says it's an official daily newspaper of the ostensibly secular Palestinian National Authority.
PMW's Itamar Marcus and Nan Jacques Zilberdik summarize the PA-sanctioned messages as:
- The enemies of Islam are "cultivating evil" against it.
- The state of Israel is a "malignant cancerous growth" and its conflict with the Arabs is about faith and existence, and not about land and borders.
- The Jewish religion is false, distorted and corrupted.
- Jews are inherently evil and have been so since the time of Cain and Abel.
- Jews, through their political philosophy Zionism, have a religious plan to take over the world and rule it while forcing non-Jews to submit to their will.
Now why do you think so many observers and reporters keep calling the PA and its ruling clique 'moderate' as they do here and here and here and here and here and so on and on? To put it mildly, calling the PA 'moderate' is to give them an easy pass. It implies support for their ideological racism.
We believe institutionalized hate-mongering is absolutely fundamental to the PA nurturing a society which values terrorist martyrdom and acts of murder and destruction. It's all going on in broad daylight, but too many people avert their gaze. It's late, but never too late, to call the Abbas regime what it is: one of the world's leading sponsors of anti-semitism and hate-based education.
All of this is indispensably made possible by funding blindly provided by funders in Australia, the United States, Canada, the European Union and other providers of aid. It's way past time to call in the auditors.